Fintry Kirk (Under Revision Oct 2018 - temporary initial draft)

Parish population of around 600, Fintry Kirk is situated in the Clachan of Fintry and lies to the east of Fintry village. The present church, built in 1823 and surrounded by an ancient graveyard, replaces a former building dating from 1642. A new cemetery is now located on the outskirts of the village.In 1992 the congregation raised £32,000 in six weeks to build a custom built Session House in the Kirk grounds. It is used regularly by the congregation, Kirk Session, Congregational Board, The Guild, and for social coffee gatherings after Sunday Service. Both buildings are well maintained. 

Church Services are on Sunday morning at 9.30am. On alternate years the Christmas Eve Watch Night Service is taken by the Minister and the Session Clerk. We have a Wyvern organ, use CH4 Hymnary and Mission Praise and read from the new International Version Bible. 

There are 35 members of our Flower Rota who ensure there is an arrangement of fresh flowers every Sunday morning in church, and a rota of 26 members to read the Lesson.  

The Minister is also Chaplain to Fintry Primary School. 

Communion is the first Sunday in March, June, September and December.

Roll and attendance. There are currently 126 on the Church Roll, 5 of whom are Adherents. Normally 30 to 40 members attend Sunday Service, more on special occasions. (Needs revision)

The Kirk session has 11 elders who are joined on the Congregational Board by 4 additional members of the church.The recent ordination of six new elders has strengthened the Session and the outreach work of the church in the community.

Organisations. We have a very active Guild with 23 members and meetings are open to everyone. During the summer we hold monthly Afternoon Teas in the Session House giving us the opportunity to welcome visitors and locals into the church. We also hold an Easter Breakfast.The Guild supports the Blythswood Shoe Box Appeal, which last Christmas sent 196 boxes overseas, Strathcarron Hospice, Preshal, and other Guild projects. Our Christmas Tree Festival with 14 trees decorated by village organisations brought over 100 members of the community to a Carol Service in the Church and raised more than £600 for Strathcarron Hospice.The Guild meets on the first Monday of the month in the Session House. 

Finance, like many churches, finance is challenging but Fintry Kirk meets its financial commitments and Gift Aid is used.

Newsletter. A Church Newsletter is produced tri-monthly and distributed to every house in the village. All services and church events are advertised weekly in the local paper. Every home is leafleted at Christmas and Easter. The Church has a good relationship with Fintry Primary School.

Our linkage with Balfron is active and healthy and we enjoy sharing services during the month of July and supporting each other when special events are held. We also meet together for Holy Week. We always enjoy coming together and would like to do so more often.

Fintry Kirk Memorial Window, on right of the pulpit remembers those who gave their lives in the two World Wars.

The Manse at 7 Station Road, Balfron is a traditional detached family home was built in 1929. Fintry pays an appropriate shoeOof the upkeep. On the ground floor there is a living room, lounge, study, breakfast room, kitchen and utility room.The Manse has gas fired central heating throughout and upstairs there are four bedrooms and a family bathroom. There is a brick built garage and the garden which surrounds the Manse has southerly views over Balfron to the Campsie Fells. Health and pharmacy facilities are available in Kippen, Balfron and Killearn. There is no public transport to or from Fintry but there is Fintry DRT (Direct Responsive Transport) run by the council and provides a “taxi service” (free to Bus Pass holders) within the Fintry, Balfron, Killearn and Kippen area.

Minister: Rev.Sigrid Marten.

Church Secretary: Mrs Meg Duckworth  milnemeATbtinternet.com 

 







Fintry Church of Scotland is a Scottish Charity.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookies and Privacy | Charity Number: SC012537